SAFER RECRUITMENT PROCESS
1. Submit your application online
- Use ‘Apply Here‘ link. Fill in all required fields. Contains questions about experience working with children, qualifications, and suitability for the role. You must also upload up-to-date CV which must include details of 2 referees, address ad date of birth.
- We do expect that at this stage you will have read the job descriptions and our related pay and expenses (see ‘ActivJobs‘ page for full details). The online job descriptions clearly set out the duties and responsibilities of the job role. The person specification is of equal importance. The document details the skills, experience, abilities and expertise that are required to do the job. The person specification includes a specific reference to suitability to work with children.
2. We will contact you
- We will send you an email once we have reviewed your application. If successful and there are available roles then we will ask to meet you.
3. Meeting / Interview
- This is really for you to see who we are and for us to see you as a person rather than a CV. A chat over coffee (we do not do skype) is important for you and us as our work is built on trust and character as much as qualifications and experience!
- Discuss CV, experience and qualifications, and, if applicable, applicants to account for any gaps or discrepancies in employment history.
- Bring all original certificates for the role you are applying for with us (NGB certificates, first aid, CRB/DBS, etc). Only original hard copies accepted. We will take copies at the meeting to be stored on our Central File.
- Also bring your passport, a utility bill with your current address, and other other details as requested via email from us prior to meeting. We need visual check for right to work in UK.
- We will ensure two referees are contacted and references verified.
- You will also need medical clearance, accepted only by self-certification (we will provide you with a certificate to complete), or occupational health, or medical practitioner.
- We do not provide any travel expenses for this meeting.
4. Background checks
- We will ensure your Enhanced DBS check is up-to-date. If you need us to get your DBS check up-to-date then we will pass on the cost we are charged for such a process, currently £52.
- Two references are contacted and verified. Verification: headed paper, business email check, telephone confirmation of reference sent by personal email. One reference from current (or most recent) employer and one from working with children.
- Proof of right to work and Medical Fitness Form completed and on our Central File.
- If we believe you are right for us (and you feel Activ Adventures is right for you!), then you will need to complete some online training and induction process. This will include child safeguarding and a review of our operational policies.
- Online learning, taking no more than 4 hours in total, to include:
- Child Safeguarding (exempt if you already hold a valid Child Safeguarding certificate, min Level 1/Group 2) verified with certificate. Valid for 3 years. If you do not have minimum of Level/Group 1 then we will provide you with a log in for a Level One online course that you will need to successfully complete.
- About Activ Adventures. Ours Ethos, Mission and Values. Always be the best version of yourself.
- Operational Procedures for expeditions (if you are working on our expeditions)
- We advise any staff involved with the delivery of DofE expeditions, who have no previous experience with DofE, to complete the DofE e-Induction online course.
- Any staff employed for carrying out assessments will need to complete the EAAS/12 form for DofE Assessors.
- All staff will be required to attend one of our one-day training days.
6. You will receive a contract
- On completion of your online training, which is still part of the recruitment process, we will send you a contract with confirmation of employment and dates, venue and links to all appropriate Employment Manual, policies, procedures, support material and risk assessments.
7. Event details will be sent to you
- We will send you all event-specific information with regard to the expedition/adventure programme(s) you have agreed to work on a minimum of two weeks prior to the event. All confidential group details will be given in a Leader’s Pack at the instructor briefing on event.
- The event details will include timings and group details, map/plan of event, event objectives and your role, event-specific risk assessments. It is expected that you will have read and understood all details before the instructor briefing on event. Always contact Head Office if you have any questions at all.
8. The event starts and the fun begins
- This is where you deliver the programme and inspire the young people. Serious Fun!
- We will carry out an appraisal of all new staff on our events. This will be carried out by our senior staff from Head Office or Course Director on event.
- We will ask for you feedback after the event as your valuable insight will help us develop our programmes for more young people.
- Please submit invoices as soon after the event as possible. Campsites and travel with group will be paid for by Activ Adventures. Expenses can be claimed for ‘Support Driver’ role only. No other expenses offered unless in exceptional circumstances and agreed before event with the Expeditions Manager.